Sunday, January 5, 2014

I don't want your life!

The last argument I had with my mother before we unexpectedly lost her was just this..."I don't want your life!"  She was upset with me going out too much with friends (now mind you, I was in my mid-40's and my kids were all adults except my last teenager).  In a moment of tired crankiness (probably had been out too late the night before!) I said those words - "I don't want your life!"  And I went on to rant about not living a life that included going to work, coming home to television, and going to bed- like her.  I had spent nearly 25 years as a single mother to 4 children, and I was damn sure going to get my time!  The hurt in her eyes still resides in my mind's eye.  Sticks and stones can certainly break bones, but  sometimes words do the most damage.  Good news is, I did come to my senses and apologize to my mother shortly after this argument.  My mother meant everything to me...she was my friend, my housemate, my inspiration,  my hero...

Funny thing is...all these years later, I find myself doing exactly what I swore I would not do.  I did get the courage to leave my life behind in NY state when the last child hit adulthood, sell all my belongings, and achieve a lifelong dream of going to Montana.  I have been here for 5 years now, and have experienced so many new and wonderful things.  But over the past couple of years, I have found myself falling into that trap of work, home, and work again.  I have always had a creative and adventurous side, and lately I feel as though I am drowning in creative juices and smothering in complete boredom.

I have never been one to make New Year's resolutions, but this week I decided - what the heck!  Time to get the creativity rolling, time to try things I've never tried before, time to get these old bones up and moving!  I invite you all to check in with me here from time-to-time and follow along on a year's worth of adventure...

...the first one begins tomorrow - an online photography class with a twist:)


the rebel's guide to falling in love with photography

No comments:

Post a Comment